Sunday 31 October 2010

pointless

I went for another of my pointless wanders of old railway stations / yards today. This time I went to find the remains of the vast Fazakerley sidings yard that closed back in 1987.

Here's a 1977 pic of a Wigan-Liverpool Exchange train passing the foot crossing at Fazakerley.


And here's the same view today. Bit different isn't it?


I found very, very little to say there was once an engine yard / goods depot here, and we're only talking just over 20 years ago. The masses of railway sidings were dug up, and replaced by a "country park" of sorts.







Fazakerley sidings are very "blink and you'll miss it", unlike my mapping of the approaches to Exchange, of which a fair amount of evidence is still there to prove its' existence. British Rail really did a hatchet job on Fazak.

0 comments: