Sunday 10 October 2010

kids

One of the things in the past year I've actually been pleased with myself about is largely putting to bed any pre-conceived ideas about any unfamiliar situations I've found myself in. In layman's terms, my unsociable side is mostly a sham, and has more to do with not wanting to be arsed than any genuine fear about people.


I can still give or take the human race. But I wish I'd come to this set of circumstances years ago, rather than when I'm a month off my 40th birthday!

Still better late than never, as the saying goes.

I'm using this preamble as a way to how I'm getting along with Jayne, Aaron and Bethany. With me and Jayne, we're pulling together a lot better than we ever have. Each of us can still be a monumental pain in the bum to the other, but we don't rest on our laurels or take each other for granted. Another lesson learned......

With Aaron and Bethany, I've gotten along with them more harmoniously than I could ever have imagined. Both me and Jayne have said that our relationship would be a no-goer if I didn't get along with the either (or both) of the kids, or they with me. It's a well-worn line, but it's true, I haven't just taken on Jayne, I've taken the kids as well - they're a package.

Aaron and Bethany look to me as "Dad".

It's not something I've tried to be. I never wanted to be "Dad". But for all intents and purposes, that's what I am. In their eyes, I do the Dad-things they've missed out on in recent times.

The reasons behind Aaron and Bethany's "relationship" with their father is beyond the remit of this blog. Suffice to say, I personally wish that they could have a relationship with their Dad but it's just not possible at this moment.

I guess I'm just in the right place at the right time and do Dad-things with them without really recognising the significance of what I'm doing. Parenting is something I'm coming to at a relatively advanced age! I feel that Jayne, her folks and to a lesser extent their own father have done all the groundwork with Aaron and Bethany, and I consider myself an interloper in a way!

I wasn't expecting to become part of a "ready-made" family, but that's a loose way of describing my current take on life.

I think back to how I got along my old fella, and try to put those sort of memories into good use with both Aaron and Bethany. Earlier on, Aaron asked me am I anything like my Dad? And aside from the obvious looks-department, there's one or twenty other things I've picked on!

I'll keep y'all informed.

0 comments: