Sunday 24 October 2010

Croxteth

I'm catching up on putting my pictures on my laptop, so last week's trip to Croxteth Park is a little late but worth posting about.


There's so much bad publicity about the word "Croxteth". Sure, it's become synonymous with gang culture but the actual Croxteth Hall and Park are nowhere near the trouble black-spots.


I started my trip there by getting the number 12 bus out to West Derby Village. And it's a village in the truest sense. Just look at the above pic.


The main drive through the estate is so long and straight that it probably passes an international time zone.


And looking back toward West Derby Village.


Are these Highland Yak, or just hairy cows......


Very tame sheep. As long as they think there's food in it for them.


What a gorgeous garden path!


To my delight there was a Walled Garden. That was Walled off from public view.


Croxteth Hall itself.


A lake. With a mini-fountain that was randomly spurting water out. At ducks.


The Iron Bridge. And, believe it or not, that's the River Alt below.


These old nuclear bunkers are a dead giveaway aren't they?


A squirrel. Near the nuclear bunker. Perhaps he/she knows something the rest of us don't?


There's one of these ropewalks adventure playgrounds at Croxteth Hall. It was shut, but the sun was still out.


More water.


If you look carefully there's a 7 1/2" miniature railway track underneath the dead leaves.


And a bridge that's closed off at night to keep the hoodies out. In fact, the whole park's cordoned off to local youth thankfully.

I loved Croxteth Park. I went here with Bethany the other Friday so she could play on swings and stuff, and I promised myself then I'd have to come back for a proper gander. I always thought that it was just the south end of my city that had all the greenery and water features. Now there's somewhere in the east. Just a shame the supposed "posh" north end is so much like a failed housing estate experiment - Crosby.

0 comments: