Wednesday 5 January 2011

suffered

The current "EastEnders" storyline involving cot death and reaction to it has been much in my thoughts recently. As the blog's recently learned, my Jayne lost a baby and current events are way too close to the bone for her. She said on FB that she wouldn't watch "EastEnders" again, but she did the following night, as did I. You don't wanna see it, but can't keep your eyes off it all the same. It's car-crash television in the bleakest context possible.


I personally wish they were not running this storyline.

Because however worthy it is to highlight the tragedy of unexplained infant-death, and bring the condition to the forefront of the nation's minds, I doubt the producers and writers of the show - however much they edited the more emotionally-distressing scenes - will have covered base as the reaction for people, like Jayne, who have suffered this awful trauma.

I am angry with "EastEnders" because there was sweet f.a I could say or do to comfort Jayne when she bolted from the living room, very, very upset at what she'd seen.

It's all very well giving out a helpline number (or a warning at the before the soap begins) for those affected by the events. And, in their way, they do help. But we're all at home as a family unit and we should be able to support each other in times of need. And I genuinely felt I couldn't.

Be careful what you watch.......

0 comments: