Sunday 29 August 2010

festival



For the first time in many years, I went to the Mathew Street Festival in town today.

Personally, I could've happily missed it. But Aaron was particularly eager to attend. He was bugging both me and Jayne to arrive early to see a Kiss tribute band, but it fell on deaf ears.

I met both Aaron and his grandad (Jayne's dad) Ged at Moorfields station, whilst Jayne and Bethany went shopping on Lord Street.

We walked extensively around town, settling on Eric Faulkener's Bay City Rollers on the Exchange Street Stage. They were loud, avoided the hits, and crap to be honest.

The above pic is of Aaron, with Ged standing behind him, as we watched the final minutes of a Guns N'Roses tribute band on the stage at Derby Square. They were quieter than a mouse.

We then went onto the stage in Wiilliamson Square (shown at the top of the page). Both me and Ged were bored, but as long as Aaron enjoyed himself that was all that mattered.

We finished off at the "Tunnel" stage opposite St.John's Gardens, and witnessed tributes to Dire Straits (shit), The Police (very good and cabaret-friendly), McCartney (the image, left-handed, but marred by bum notes), and Queen (the Brian May lookalike was a 75 year-old pensioner in a curly wig).

I left early because I was doing the chippy tonight.

Maybe it's just me. Well....yeh, it IS just me, but I thought there were too many people about. And whoever relented the on-street alcohol ban needs shooting. Too many people brought their own cases of Carling/Stella/Fosters/etc. Regardless of it being a free event, the booze ban should stay in place, aside from the inevitable drunkenness, the mess left will be horrendous. I wish the public would respect their city's environment a little bit more.

0 comments: