Tuesday 13 July 2010

walk

I went on a mental walk over on the Wirral today, from Hooton to Prenton - the not indirect 10 mile route was a test of stamina over stupidity (or vice-versa) by the time I'd finished it!

I started at Hooton station, and took the Wirral Way country path as far as Williaston, where the preserved Hadlow Road railway station stands......





....and onto Williaston village itself. It had that English-ly village feel - full of 38 tonne trucks and 4X4 Cayennes driven by designer-sunglassed housewives in their mid-30s with bog all else to do until Poppy and Tristan need picking up from private school in the afternoon......



Like last week, I passed through the leafy village of Raby again, before going on to Thornton Hough....

As I said on the last blog, Thornton Hough is beautiful con, because the houses are mostly all Tudor-esque in style, giving the impression this an old village, yet they were all built towards the end of the 19th century by the Lever Brothers of Port Sunlight as residences for the senior management of the company.


After Thornton Hough came Brimstage. By now fatigue was setting in and I could've happily waited at a bus stop, except buses didn't pass through the village until after 6pm......


...so I staggered on, (short of oxygen, hurtling towards a bright light and welcoming faces) under the M53 motorway, to Storeton before finishing in urbanised Prenton, where I picked up a bus back to Liverpool. If you're wondering where the pictures are for the latter stages of my walk, the simple answer is your author was too bolloxed by take any!

Jayne thinks I'm mad doing a walk like this, she feels I should work my way up to doing things like this. And she's probably right. Because although this is the sort of thing I like to do in my freetime, there's little point going gung-ho at them if I'm gonna feel shattered and no use to no one at the end of them.

0 comments: