Friday 7 March 2014

kill

Today I was on a train. And one of the great things about trains in these enlightened days is their near-universal accessibility for everyone - regardless of ability / disability.


Even though they were aided by a ramp, it still took two members of staff to push an electric wheelchair user onto the train. This person had a face on him that said "kill". He didn't even say thank you to the train staff for their help.

His wheelchair, from what I could tell, was perfectly manoeuvrable. But instead, this grumpy balls remained where he was completely blocking the exit doors to the extent that no one could get on at that door, and no one could get off. He absolutely refused to move out of the way to let a guy with a bike off at a station. He merely sat there looking like a miserable Gollum - and that's pretty bad.

I thought maybe I was being too harsh on this bloke, his problems may have been more than physical. But bike guy, rightly, complained to the train guard, and only after train guard got Gollum's attention did he finally move. Not difficult was it?

I would never, ever abuse disabled people. But Gollum was a complete dickhead. My point being that disabled people can still be dickheads. 

I personally don't care what afflictions folk may have. Rightly or wrongly, I treat them all the same. There has been massive progress in bringing equality to the disabled, and I'm doing my bit.

0 comments: