Tuesday 11 March 2014

fascists

We sometimes do catering jobs to supplement our meagre income. We're called "Jayne's Catering". And, by and large, they're fun to do - bloody hard work, but mostly enjoyable.

We did one on Saturday. We set it up, left the clients to it, and came back later on to clear up. 

You know that feeling when you walk through a door, the room goes silent and all eyes are upon you? Well, that was what this was like when we went back to tidy.

I got a distinct impression from some of the patrons that we were gatecrashing their event. And even though I was lugging boxes, black bin bags and other assorted catering items, I definitely felt that I was "beneath" these people.

It took me back to our wedding reception. We did our own catering. Which also meant that even though we were the hosts, we also had to clear up too. I was going round, later on with bin bags, asking guests politely if I could have their used plates, cutlery, etc. Most folk were great, but some gave me the sort of looks like I'd farted on their mother!!!

I thought, "hang on, WE INVITED YOU!!!! You're here at our bequest, not the other way round."

I know that we're human and frequently caught out. But basic manners is something else. All I want to do is stamp on some people and set fire to their over-priced designer outfits. Fascists.

0 comments: