Thursday 3 March 2011

Monkees

Jayne's got the two of us tickets for the Monkees upcoming gig at the Echo Arena in May.

I personally couldn't care less whether the band are all in their mid-to-late 60s - they're another set of heroes who I've had the pleasure of growing up listening to and watching. I may be a second-generation Monkees fan, but I'm one all the same.

Career highlights? Too many to mention. It'd be so easy to pick out any of the classic singles, but it's the lesser known work that's always gripped my attention. Stuff like "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" and "Circle Sky" (both Mike Nesmith originals) still see regular action on my I-Tunes. And their glorious disaster movie that is "Head" predated  Monty Python by a year with its' stream-of-consciousness approach and weirdly off-beat psychedelic kilter. Brilliant stuff.


Hoping upon hope that the reluctant Nesmith joins Micky Dolenz, David Jones and Peter Tork on stage during this tour. It could be the last time they'll be capable of being together as a group.


And then there's Cheap Trick....again!!!




Cheap Trick are playing their only confirmed UK date this year in Bristol (after a show in Dublin) on June 12th. Both me and Aaron would love to go, but the logistics are tricky and it won't be cheap either. But their gig in Mancland back in November was simply the best Rock I've ever heard or seen in a live setting, and to miss them would be a huge shame. 


So we'll see......

0 comments: