Monday 7 June 2010

flag

Too many of these things are popping up all over the place..........


I suppose it's inevitable that the wannabe-footy "supporters" come out of the woodwork once every four years?

Time has mellowed me as regards the St.George's Flag and patriotic spirit - I think it would be nice if I was more welcoming towards it. However, old habits die slowly. I still associate the St.George's Flag with the BNP and the fascist far-right loonies. And I well remember the terrible stick the great John Barnes got whenever he put on an England shirt from supposed "fans".

Also, it's morally abhorrent to stick up for a football team that contains Wayne Rooney, John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in its' ranks. Okay, Ferdinand's out now, but the sentiments still the same.

Still trying to get my head around Jamie Carragher back in the England set-up. Wonder how he got round his missus on that one? "Errrr, not goin' on 'olidee wid yew an' d'kids now, luv......." I'd have thought it more prudent to rest his legs for the summer because we have an early kick-off in July.

So I went into town today and bought a Spanish flag to drape across my window instead. Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa (compared to Glen Johnson, Arby's the business!!!!!).

The other reason I got a Spanish flag was because they'd run out of North Korean ones. Like they do in this city.......

2 comments:

Alessandro 7 June 2010 at 22:02  

Spanish flag? No wonder Aquilani is ready to go home - he showed his potential.. yet Liverpool supporters have Spanish flags? Get the Green/White/Red sorted mate! (PS. I know Aquilani isn't in the squad - but you can bet your life once that no good Lippi is gone, Aqqers will be straight in there!!

dreadedvacuumflaskmonster 8 June 2010 at 23:27  

Aquilani was treated shittily by Benitez. Despite generally showing good form when in the team, Rafa didn't want him. Robbie Keane Syndrome again.

Italy are alright, but Torres/Reina/Alonso are gods in this city. Arteta at Everton too. Maybe I blinked and missed all the other Spanish flags?