Sunday 20 June 2010

Dad

Today Dad's 63. Wherever he is at this precise moment he's probably a permanent 47....or less! More than likely he's putting the afterlife to rights from the comfort of his favourite armchair - feet tucked up on the cushion, wearing just his favourite underpants. A true story, folks!

Today usually coincided with Father's Day, as this year proves. I used to say to him, "...what do you want for your birthday and Father's Day?"

"Is it my birthday soon, son?"

"Yeh!"

I think he knew damned well but didn't want the fuss. Me, Mum and Mick are much the same.

As time goes on, I worry I lose memories of him and his adventures. For whilst there's recollections, he's still very much alive. It's funny how things hit and tickle you when you're least expecting it.

Today I was driving through Seaforth, and a story triggered in the recesses of my brain. When I was in my mid-teens, I came home one night to find Dad getting dressed up in all his army gear. I thought he was going to the barracks for some craic? "No, son," he said, "I'm going for a run."

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Bootle and back. You're welcome along."

Still inquisitive, I ventured, "Why are you in your kit, Dad?"

Straight-faced, he replied, "The regiment's going on an exercise this weekend, all across country. So I'm getting some practice in. Oh, and pass us that 38 pound back pack over there please, son?"

His shoulder bag was huge. It had all sorts of pots and pans hanging off. But most of all, it weighed a ton. He strapped it across his back, and off we went.

It was dusk, but he was getting some strange looks from passers-by as we went along. He began at a furious pace too, and I was very, very fit back then, though I had trouble keeping up.

We were talking about stuff as we went, then suddenly he'd shout, "100 YARD SPRINT, GO!!!!" Whoosh, with all this weight he was away and I was following.

He timed to Bootle and back in 35 minutes. I was knackered. Dad calmed took off his back-pack, and stripped down to his underpants (like I said earlier on), and without any pre-amble, went and watched the telly!!!!!!!

There was always a method to his madness. I think his regiment won a trophy that weekend too?

For the first time ever, I got something for Father's Day from both Aaron and Bethany. This was completely unexpected, and I was genuinely lost for words. I don't feel like "Dad" to the kids, and I've certainly never tried to fill that gap. I'm just there, I guess, and I suppose I say and do a lot of the right things by them.
It was a very thoughtful gesture I'll always treasure.
Maybe my Dad did get the same kick out of these special days, but he was too embarrassed to admit it?!! I feel quietly honoured.
I love and miss him so, so much. Happy birthday, Dad xxxxxx

0 comments: