Tuesday 25 May 2010

pension

Work's been up and running again for a few months now, and the initial signs are that we're going in the right direction. So there's been very-gentle discussion about future plans, and one of the first things we've had a chat about is a company pension for everyone.


Now all my work colleagues have a private pension of some kind, and they're carrying on paying in as much before. Except me, obviously, who hasn't a private pension of any kind.

Anyway, a bloke came into work the other week telling us all about pension stuff. And I know I can be fairly thick, but as soon as your man started talking I was lost. I'm one of these people who however hard I try to concentrate on what's being said, the less I take in or understand.

But I think part of me was resistant to it anyway? The starting payment is £20 a month (which the company match), but that's a week's juice for Anya3. And I don't know what's gonna happen in 25 days time, let alone 25 years!

Call it immaturity on my part, but fiscal planning is something I strive to do from week to week (quite successfully at this moment) and that's my priority. The future is something else altogether.

I remember two blokes coming round to ours not long after me Dad passed on, going over his meager pension with Mum. And the cheeky buggers, amid our grief, sold our kid an insurance policy. Mick did very well out of it as it happens, I think he got a decent cash payout after so many years. But that wasn't the point - there's a time and place for everything and everyone. Under gritted teeth, I politely declined, but I could've swung for the bastards.

I have an immense distrust of people in suits trying to take money off me - I'm sorry.

I'm being urged to sign up to this, and I appreciate the logic behind it. But I have serious reservations - that's all. I think if I had the presence of mind to actually speak against it, I wouldn't do it. But I'm too much like a rabbit in the headlights to have the balls not to.

0 comments: