Friday 10 December 2010

parents

Me and Jayne went to Aaron's "Parents Day" at his school today.


He's very good at much of what he does at school. He's not too keen on P.E, Aaron's not really a sporty type anyway. He's well-mannered and pleasant to tutor according to the teacher.

It was good to hear, and a far cry from my own parents thing back at school, which I'll come to in a minute.

Strange feeling walking around a, for want of a better term, "secondary modern" school. Reminded me a little too much of where I went. It's a different place, obviously, with a different regime but it's funny how it can catch one out.....

I think I've spoken about the "Parents Evening" debacle I caused back at Chezzy, a fair while ago. For those not in the know, it's worth repeating here.

Fifteen years old, and I'd had enough with school. I'd got to the point where I'd downed tools and was on strike until I could officially leave. The letter came around the class that "Parents Evening" was soon and would all pupils give the form to their folks to sign whether they were coming or not.

I gave the letter to me Dad. Through our talks, he knew I wasn't happy at school. He opened it, had a quick glance, and asked me, "is it worth me and your Mum going in for this, son? We don't want to be embarrassed."

"No, not really, Dad"

"Okay, no problem." In one of the few times he signed anything official of mine, he ticked the "not attending" box, and I duly passed the letter back into school the next day.

A few days later I was in English class with Mrs. Aberdeen - one of the few teachers who I actually liked and gave a toss about in class when so much of my other schoolwork was down the drain. She proclaimed, loudly, "now, at Parents Evening I'm seeing everyone's Mum and Dad....except Andrew's. Can you tell me why, please?"

Cool as you like I answered, "I told them it wouldn't be worth them coming in, Miss."

Her face was a picture - like she'd been smacked in the mouth with a dolphin or something. Quickly, she regained her composure and carried on. But you know what, I felt so ashamed of what I'd said. Mrs Aberdeen didn't deserve my contempt.

If there's one thing I truly regret at school it's that little incident. Silly, but it stucks in my mind like a sore thumb. Not a lot else bothers me.

Anyway, well done Aaron. Keep it up, son!!!

0 comments: