Tuesday 21 December 2010

fred

I went with Bethany and Aaron to see "Fred The Movie" today.


Like a lot of folk, I like his stuff on You Tube. It's incredibly infantile and stupid which appeals to me on a very, very, very basic level.

The esteemed Mark Kermode reviewed this film by just screaming "aaaarrrrgggghhhhh" basically, so I wasn't expecting much and little, if nothing is what I got.

I'm not particularly good at reviewing films, but I found this beaut of a review on the Sky.com website that's worth reprinting here.....


Congratulations Lucas Cruikshank on establishing the first YouTube channel to gain a million subscribers. Congratulations on over 300 million views. And congratulations too on creating the most insufferable character in the history of motion pictures.

Anyone unacquainted with the teenage drama queen who doesn’t want him dead within five seconds is a saint. After two minutes, you'll be wishing for martyrdom yourself.

Fred's every utterance is pure torture. It's like listening to Louie Spence, Graham Norton and Donald Duck having their testicles blowtorched.

When he’s not screaming, screeching, squealing or yelling, he's throwing up, whining, tantrumming or falling over in a desperately unfunny manner.

Besides a good kicking, then, all Fred wants is to make sweet music with Judy (Pixie Lott), the hottie next door.

But while vying for her affections with arch-bully Kevin (Jake Weary), his love is put further out of reach when she suddenly moves to another neighbourhood.

Heeding the advice of his macho dad - a figment of his imagination played to zero comic effect by wrestling star Michael Cena - Fred sets out to win fair Judy's heart.

Along the way he proves himself to be a stalker, a shoplifter, and a complete moron. And there's something decidedly creepy about his relationship with his slovenly single mum.

As if Cruikshank needed to underline his lack of wit, he also gives Fred a charmless alter-ego called Derf (geddit?).

Needless to say, only the most charitable of masochists could wish him well. But don't take our word for it, here are some of the comments posted on movie megasite IMDb.

“I felt like killing myself.” ”I've deleted it twice from my DVR and refuse to let my kid watch it.” “The script is abysmal... the direction is dreadful and the acting I don't know where to begin”. “WHO IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE AIMED AT?”

The biggest turkey of 2010 and a contender for worst film of all time, it’s impossible to see how this traumatising ordeal could be made in a country bound by the Geneva Convention.

Drop dead Fred. Seriously.


It's nigh on impossible to transfer a three-minute sketch into a 90 minute film,
and although the feature was generally rubbish, some of the tomfoolery and slapstick going on that kind-of reminded me of the more mentally-absurd side of "The Goodies" in an odd way.

Probable worst film of the year, but I suspect, in time, it'll gain some kind of cult (yes, CULT!) status.

0 comments: