Sunday 25 April 2010

serendipity

A wonderful piece of serendipity occurred today when I came across an old friend, under a different guise, on the river. "T Rex" used to be "Dawn Merchant" - one of the two ships (along with "Brave Merchant") that I used to use almost weekly between Liverpool and Ireland.


I loved these ships. I always used to get the overnight ferry, but very rarely booked a cabin. Instead, I used to curl up under a luggage rack in one of deck lounges. I always remember the night when snug and gently dozing off, the vibration of the engines silenced - they'd broken down somewhere off the coast of Anglesey. The ship anchored whilst repairs were made, and thankfully they got the ship running again.


The Irish Sea could be very rough. One night there were 30/40 foot waves coming over the front of the ship - it was fantastic! I'd gotten my sea-legs by this time, so seasickness didn't affect me. Instead, I went out on deck on a part of the ship that was pretty much in the centre of the boat. Even though I was swamped with sea-spray and howling winds, it was fairly calm beneath my feet on deck, like being in the eye of the hurricane.

I assume "T Rex" is covering either the Dublin or Belfast sailings, and it's a shame I haven't the time to do a trip on this fantastic boat for old time's sake!

0 comments: