Wednesday 14 April 2010

expensive

At work, Ian's just come back from a short holiday in Ireland, full of horror stories concerning the price of everything over there.


This isn't anything new to me, but as much as I'm looking forward to going over with Jayne soon, I'm not very comfortable with getting together more money than I should do. Just as an example, we've decided to take bread, butter and fillings with us to make butties for the days we're out and about in Dublin. Ian told us he and some friends ordered five small scones and five cups of tea costing €30, which is astronomical!

And I'm not paying €15 to take the Guinness tour. Plus the fact, everyone knows the best Guinness in the world is in Liverpool (straight off the boat, time to settle, you see!)

The place we're staying at is gonna cost €250 for four nights. When I booked, the girl I spoke to said they were struggling like mad to make ends meet.

Unleaded petrol, I've been told, is around €1.32, which makes it a lot more expensive than what we're paying here. Yet, in the past, the idea was to fill up in Ireland before I came back - the juice was so cheap.

The Irish government has taken some draconian measures to balance its budget deficit by slashing public spending to the bare minimum, taking the country back into the dark ages.

I always wondered what would happen when the E.U money ran out????

Still, it's going to be an interesting (if expensive) little holiday?

0 comments: