Tuesday 2 March 2010

zonks

I got a wonderfully pointless phone call at work today from an employment agency in Bolton who I'd emailed for a job absolutely zonks ago. The only reason I remembered it was because the contact person at this agency was called Szymon (pronounced "Simon"). Anyway, he sounded very European, and his English was much better than mine.


Come to think of it, there are unknown tribes in the Amazon whose English is better than mine!

During the 4 minutes, 32 seconds of our phone conversation, he made great play of the fact I'd been in and out of G.B Fasteners three times. So I gave him a brief history of time, including the fact that a palindrome is a word that is spelt the same backwards as well as forwards, etc, etc......

So after a little more light banter, from me anyway, he asked me to attend Skelmersdale Job Centre tomorrow morning at 9am for an interview. I am to bring my passport, driving licence, toothbrush, workboots (??????) and, most importantly to Szymon, my bank details.

I asked Szymon was I getting offered a job? He said no, it was just an interview to see if I was a suitable applicant. So I said, "no job, no bank details."

He still wants me to attend.

Now here's the thing. Thankfully, I'm not now in a position to attend this "interview" - which has all the hallmarks for signing up to an employment agency. Not too long ago, I might've been coerced? But employment agencies are there as a cheap alternative to companies actually employing staff, saving a small wad of bosses/shareholders cash, thereby denying a potential employee the full range of employment rights and protection they would be entitled to. Because as a temporary worker, I would be treated like shit.

And I put up with enough of that as it is.

I'm off tomorrow, and I'm feeling obnoxious enough to attend this charade. I got a text message from the employment agency earlier on confirming my appointment. But, at the end of the day, that'll boil down to the whether I can be bothered getting out of bed, ho, ho, ho.......

0 comments: