Sunday 6 February 2011

Anya3

Me and my big mouth!


Yesterday, I was telling Jayne of how, over the years, Anya3 hasn't caused me too much grief. Yet, today, I got a rude awakening on my way to do Saturday's chippy run because the engine was running like absolute crap. Probably I was deluding myself thinking she'd perk up as the engine got warmer, because she got worse.

How can I describe the engine failure. Imagine the car was running on two of its' four cylinders - very jittery, zero acceleration, and tons of exhaust vapour.

For the second time in two years, the EGR (Exhaust Gas Regulator) valve has failed. This computer component is supposed to make the engine run smoother and be fuel efficent. Not today it wasn't.

The big problem I have now is this job, the last time I got it done, cost me £150. My regular mechanic, Doug, hasn't the facilities to replace this part - instead he sent me to one of his mates, ironically quite close to work, who has the workshop facilities to do it. I'd still need the £150 though.

I also need a new battery, and the timing belt is 10,000 miles overdue replacing (another £150 job). I just haven't got the money to get these jobs done and, sadly, it probably isn't cost-effective to do them.

I have a big decision to make - do I sell Anya3 and give up the ghost? And the answer, barring a miracle, is probably yes!

In an ideal world, not a decision I'd be making.

0 comments: