Wednesday 15 September 2010

monsoon

Due to circumstances, I did the paper round on me own today. As it happened, for Aaron's sake, it was probably just as well.


Part of this paper round takes me right on seafront in Blundellsands. There's been a fairly strong gale blowing for the last day or so in these parts, so I was quite exposed to the elements while I was out.

Then it started to rain.

At first, the droplets of water were pleasant enough. Despite the wind, it was still very warm for this time of year. But soon, it started to throw it down. The mad thing was I could see it coming. Looking out across Liverpool Bay, the visibility was next to nothing, the sea was very, very choppy, but there was nothing I could do except brave it.

The next thing, the wind really picked up, and the rain intensified to a degree I haven't experienced before - I'd say it was the closest I've seen to a monsoon. There was an initial feeling of me versus nature. "Come on, you bastard," I screamed, "do your worst, hahahaha....etc"

Sod's law, nature obliged.

I walked on, pulling my trolley. To passing motorists, I must've been such a weird sight. I was absolutely drenched from head to toe - water pouring off me. Taking the hint that nature will always win, one house I delivered to had a canopy next to the front door. I stood under it for the next 15 minutes whilst the weather lashed and slashed its' way throughout the neighbourhood.

There was little point going back home to change, the drizzle continued. So I just carried on, as best as I could, listening to the rhythmic slush of the watery steps I made in my sodden trainers.

Naively, I've been after a mad day of weather since Aaron joined me on the round. Not to do him in, but just to give him an idea of what the elements can be like in such an exposed part of town. We've had beautiful days for the last five Wednesdays...until today.

I must've been one bad bugger in a previous life?


0 comments: